There is no need to run off to the drug store or pharmacy when that annoying cough strikes. There are many cough home remedies that have stood the test of time and proven their effectiveness over many generations. Often you can soothe your raw throat and stop that cough with things you already have in your home or can easily purchase from your local market. Besides being easy and effective, you can feel good about the fact that you are using something natural.
Here are 10 great cough home remedies you can make at home to stop that cough and get the relief you need.
Note: Many of these home remedies contain honey. Honey should not be given to babies under a year old as there is a rare chance they could contract botulism.
1. Honey-Lemon-Water: Combine one cup honey, 1/4 cup warm water, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Take 2 teaspoons daily. Honey helps soothe a cough and lemon is especially effective in treating infections of the throat.
2. Ginger tea: Add a few small pieces of ginger to boiling water before adding tea bag. Ginger is a highly effective cough suppressant.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar to a glass of water. Take a swallow or two whenever you feel the tickle in your throat start. The vinegar dissolves mucus and reduces inflammation in the throat.
4. Grape Juice: Mix a cup of grape juice with a teaspoon of honey. Grapes strengthen the lungs and act as an expectorant, which can relieve a cough in a couple days.
5. Dark Chocolate: There are some studies that show that a component of chocolate, Theobromine, will relieve coughing.
6. Cayenne pepper: Mix 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of pepper in a glass of water. Gargle with this and then swallow. You can also substitute 15-20 drops of Tabasco sauce. Pepper helps clear congestion and draws blood to the throat to fight infection.
7. Almonds: Soak seven almonds in water overnight. Remove the brown skin. Crush into a fine paste. Add a small amount (20 grams or about 1 1/2 tablespoons) of butter and sugar to the paste. This paste should be eaten in the morning and at bedtime. Almonds are most effective on a dry cough.
8. Onion: Crush one medium size onion and mix it with the juice of one lemon. Then pour one cup of boiling water on it. A teaspoon of honey can be added to improve taste. Take this two to three times a day. Onion helps to remove phlegm.
9. Carrot Juice: Mix carrot juice with honey and a little warm water. Take a tablespoon full several times daily. Carrot juice helps to lubricate the throat which takes away the tickle in a dry cough.
10. Garlic: Grate one clove of garlic and mix with one teaspoon honey. Take as needed. Garlic is a great antioxidant, and helps to control coughing as well.
When a cough has you up all night, or is driving you crazy during the day, instead of heading to the pharmacy, head to the kitchen and try one of these cough home remedies instead. Many of the remedies listed here use items most people have on hand in their kitchen. Not only will you save a trip, you’ll save money as well, and find that you’ve gotten rid of the cough and healed the underlying cause of the cough so you can rest easy day or night.