Matcha is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea.
It’s special in two aspects of farming and processing. The green tea plants for matcha are shade-grown for about three weeks before harvest, and the stems and veins are removed in processing.
The flavour of matcha is dominated by its amino acids. The highest grades of matcha have more intense sweetness and deeper flavour than the standard or coarser grades of tea harvested later in the year.
What are the Health Benefits of Matcha Tea?
– Boosts metabolism and burns calories
– Detoxifies effectively and naturally
– Calms the mind and relaxes the body
– Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
– Enhances mood and aids in concentration
– Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
– Prevents disease
– Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar.
– Fights cancer
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the catechins in matcha green tea (EGCG, EGC, ECG, and EC) are so powerful that it is believed that they may actually help prevent cancer.
One of the most unexpected health benefits of matcha tea, is that drinkers experience a boost of energy throughout the day.
In one study, researchers had thought that this was from the caffeine in matcha, but they found that it was actually the combination of matcha’s natural properties.
Another recent study found that matcha even improved physical endurance by 24%.