Living a healthy lifestyle can help you look and feel better. A healthy body is better able to fight off infections and diseases. Here are a few simple things you can do that will get you on the road to better living.
1. Get a check-up regularly. Make sure you have all screenings such as colonoscopies, mammograms etc. that recommended for your gender and age.
2. Make sure you include lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. These colorful foods are full of antioxidants that slow aging inside of your cells. Don’t forget to add a few nuts and whole grains for a healthy mix.
3. Avoid trans fats that are found in margarines, shortening, fried foods, cookies and other processed foods. You can find information about trans fats on the nutrition labels of food. Look for foods with no trans fats.
4. Get or stay smoke free. Tobacco in any form can cause cancer and other health issues.
5. Minimize alcohol consumption. It’s okay to have a drink or two once in a while or even a glass of wine each evening but excess alcohol consumption contributes to excess body fat, fatigue and other health issues.
6. Get some type of exercise. It doesn’t have to be an extensive workout at the local gym and you don’t need to run 5 miles a day but you do need to get yourself moving. Even moderate exercise is beneficial to your heart and helps in weight control.
7. Drink plenty of water. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature and allow nutrients to travel to all your organs. It helps remove body waste and protects your joints and organs. Try to drink 48-64 oz/day.
8. Get rid of excess weight. Studies have shown that people who carry excess weight, especially in their belly, are more at risk for certain chronic health issues like diabetes, heart disease and even some forms of cancer.
9. Relieve the stress in your life. People’s stress relievers vary from quiet meditation to a muscle building workout in the gym or a Yoga class. Figure out what works for you and take time to relieve your stress and tension.
10. Have fun. Everyone needs to take time to have some fun. Don’t let your yearly vacation be your only break. Spend time with friends on a regular basis. Go to a movie or out to dinner or skiing or whatever you can think of that is fun and will help you maintain those good relationships.
You only get one life so live it happy and healthy!